Thursday, July 10, 2014

Expectations

So while hiking solo for 3 days in the White Mountains, I had quite a bit of time to think about stuff. Among other things, I thought a lot about what my expectations are for my Peace Corps service.

When I first got the invitation to go serve in Namibia I started forming all sorts of expectations for myself in terms of what I wanted to accomplish and what I wanted to learn. It was exciting to think about all of the possibilities and opportunities. However, as I thought about it more I started cutting back on my expectations. It's not that I don't think I have a lot to give and to learn (because I know I do). It is because I want to go into this experience with a completely open mind.

It is hard to have  expectations when you don't really know what to expect. My living and working situations are largely unknown to me right now. If I go to Namibia with lots of expectations, I am going in with a fixed mind set. Open mindedness will better enable me to adapt to the environment that I am placed in. I think this essential to being a successful volunteer.

That said, I do have "big picture" expectations. First and foremost I expect to make a difference. I can't say how big of difference I will make, but I will leave the country confidently knowing that I helped in some way. I also expect to learn. There is no doubt that I will come away with more knowledge and skills than I arrived with. I expect to be challenged. I don't expect there to be too many easy days, and I know I'll have to overcome many unique obstacles. Lastly I expect to come away with experiences and relationships that I will happily carry for the rest of my life. I've yet to step on Namibian soil but I know that the entire 27 months will be incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment