Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Medically Cleared!

Today, I have been deemed medically and dentally cleared which is great to know because if I wasn't cleared I would probably have some other issues to deal with.

As soon as I accepted my invitation I received my Pre-Departure requirements, most of which were medical requirements. Apparently, they do not want to be sending any sick, physically, or mentally unfit people overseas.

I needed to get a number of shots. Got the first 3 at Walgreens, and had to go to a clinic to get the last one.
  • polio
  • chickenpox
  • Tdap (tetanus)
  • Yellow fever
A physical exam was also required. Other than the normal check ups I had a bunch of lab tests done.
  • Tuberculin Test (for TB)
  • HIV
  • CBC
  • Hep B
  • Hep C
  • G6PD titer
  • Basic Metabolic Panel
  • Urinalysis
Not sure what some of these are (G6PD titer?), but I checked out, so all is good.

A dental exam and x-rays were required as well

It is good to know I am healthy. What will be interesting is the challenges that I may face to maintain my good health. I am sure my diet will change. Food and water born illnesses could and probably will occur (I've heard diarrhea is a popular topic of conversation among volunteers). I'll also need to come up with a new workout plan. I doubt they have a gym on every other block, but I'm sure I will figure out a way to stay fit.

I can't wait to see what Namibia has in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. Hi John!
    I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures!! I have 1 request - please send Danny a post card :-) He doesn't have one from Africa yet. I use post cards to educate him on Geography. Check out the below links on exercising without equipment.
    http://www.humananatura.org/naturalexercise7.php
    http://likes.com/sports/the-7minute-total-workout-no-equipment-required
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/14/exercises-at-home_n_2287898.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. We're so excited for you. One item many friends swear by is mentioned in the following article for prevention and treatment, Pepto.
    http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/specialtopic/travelers-guide-to-avoiding-infectious-diseases/traveler's-diarrhea.html

    ReplyDelete